France 8, Journey's End



The Loire was lovely, very civilised, ordered and somehow, more French than the south. We stayed at a very nice campsite near Blois called Le Parc du Val de Loire, www.valduparcdeloire.com , where we watched the World Cup unfold in the bar with some very excitable Frenchmen. We visited the chateaux, of course, we did Amboise, Cheverney and Chambord, and somehow managed to visit Blois, but missed the chateau! After four nights we headed for the ferry and home. Did we enjoy the experience? Like the curate's egg - good in parts. It did seem sometimes like a litany of disasters. Did I tell you about catching my foot on the ground sheet in the tent, falling backwards, bashing my head on the metal tent pole and nearly putting my head through the tent wall? Or about my electric window in the car becoming stuck in the down position with half of the rubber flapping about on the motorway? The window had become trapped the wrong side of the rubber and would not move. Cue husband attacking it with one of our eating utensils! We managed to get it to go up eventually, but couldn't then open it for the rest of the journey, which meant me leaping out at every motorway toll booth.
One way or another it was indeed a memorable holiday, but it may be some time before I am tempted back to France again. I haven't even mentioned the French drivers, or their terrible traffic signs, or........... Au revoir!

Popular posts from this blog

British Holiday Websites

Dublin's Fair City!

Algeciras, the real Spain